My friend sent me an email a while back asking if I had tried these delicious little treats. I said I had not but had seen them making the rounds on Pinterest and wanted to try them out. Because I already had all of the ingredients I made them that same night! They were gone the next day. Even though these babies are power packed with good stuff, watch out to not over do it. You WILL have a stomach ache not to mention they are pretty calorie dense. They are packed with foods that are slow to digest and will keep your blood sugar steady for hours.
- 1 Cup Dry Oatmeal
- ½ Cup Ground Flax Seed
- 1 Tablespoon Chia Seed
- ½ Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Peanut Butter
- ⅓ Cup Light Agave
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- several shakes of cinnamon
1. Mix together Oatmeal, Flax seed, Cinnamon & Chia seed.
2. Add your chocolate chips
3. Stir in peanut butter, agave, and vanilla.
6. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
This recipe makes about 20 bites but depending on how big or small you make them or how much you eat whilst forming the bites, it will vary.
Substitutions, variations & additions
- you can use honey instead of agave.
- add pumpkin & pumpkin spice
- add banana
- any nut butter will work if there is an allergy
- I may try less peanut butter more oats. This may help with the calorie content, make the texture a bit more dry and also add more volume.
- I love coconut, but I am the only one in the house who does. I would love to put unsweetened coconut in the mix.
- add cranberries
- add chopped almonds
- add white chocolate chips
The variations are endless!
I can’t wait to try all of those variations when I make them in the future!
If you can stretch the mixture to make 30 bites, they are about 100 calories each. If you make 20, they are about 150 calories. They are super good for you and power packed with nutrients for mornings when you have to be out the door quickly, for that 2 pm slump, for children who are constantly on the move and too busy to eat or for those (my husband) who are looking for ways to increase their calorie intake in healthy ways without having to eat a ton of food.
Here is the link to the original recipe.